Friday, April 23, 2010

Crock pot Great Northern Beans

I wanted to cook a pound of Great Northern Beans because I love the idea of replacing half of the meat in a recipe with beans, and Great Northerns are so mild and versatile that I love to use them for this purpose. However, I usually forget to cook them ahead of time and end up using all the meat the recipe called for anyway. This is what I put in my crockpot at 9:00 last night:

1 lb dry Great Northern Beans
10 cups hot tap water
1/4 cup organic no-salt seasoning blend (Costco)

I turned the crockpot on low and left it until 6:00 this morning, so 9 hours. The beans are perfectly cooked and still had some broth as well. I love the flavor of the no-salt seasoning but you know what is missing? Salt. lol. When I make them again, I'll add a tablespoon of salt. I suspected this might be the result but because of my detox, I'm avoiding salt. I ended up with 6 lbs of beans. Here they are:



CLICK ON IMAGE FOR A CLOSE UP

1 comment:

  1. I've been told/read that if you add salt when cooking you hard beans that it will result in them not cooking soft. The salt, even in small amounts, clogs up a small flap/opening in the bean and prevents thorough cooking. So you might want to add your salt afterwards next time. Just passing on info someone gave me. HTH!

    ReplyDelete