Friday, April 23, 2010

Homemade Mayonnaise and Miracle Whip

Here's another food that I had to stop buying when I read the label. What the heck IS all of that stuff? I found a recipe online and then tweaked it. When I made sandwiches with it, they were declared "the best sandwiches ever" by my 10 year old.

THE MAYONNAISE RECIPE ALONE
2 egg yolks
1/2 tsp salt
1 tbsp honey
3 tbsp lemon juice
1 1/2 cups cold pressed, unrefined canola oil (this is tricky to find)

THE PART YOU ADD TO THE MAYO TO MAKE IT LIKE MIRACLE WHIP
2 tbsp whole wheat flour
1 tsp dry mustard
1/4 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/2 cup water
2 tbsp vinegar

1. Pulse the eggs, salt, honey, and lemon juice in your blender
2. Turn blender on and pour the oil in kinda slowly. It magically becomes mayo. You can stop here if you want. I like the flavor of the rest of the ingredients.
3. Whisk the flour, mustard, paprika, and garlic powder together in an unheated sauce pan. Add the water and vinegar. Whisk until it is all smooth. Bring to a boil over medium heat.
4. Stir the mayo with the hot mixture and refrigerate.

I honestly don't know the shelf life of this stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment