Wednesday, May 5, 2010

The BEST Whole Wheat Tortillas Ever

I've made lots of whole wheat tortillas and have often found the results to be too "wheaty", too thick, and just not right. I'm a tortilla connoisseur. When we lived in Nampa, Idaho (a town with a high Mexican population), I found a little bakery called "Rita's." If you are ever in Nampa, please go eat the lingua tacos (yup, this is tongue; just trust me) from their walk-up window. Then go inside their little shop. Buy their flour tortillas . Also buy their little cinnamon sugar coated cookies. Both are made with white flour but its a treat that you won't find anywheare else, so I think you should splurge. Anyway, I digress...... tortillas......Because of Rita's, I must have my tortillas thin and cooked just right. THIS recipe is the one:

Ingredients
4 cups whole wheat flour
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking powder
1.5 cups boiling water

Directions
Put flour, salt, and baking powder into a good mixer and mix, using the paddle blade. Pour boiling water over this and mix thorougly. Switch to dough hook and knead for 2 minutes. This helps the gluten in the flour develop and absorb the water. Shape into 24 balls right on your counter and lay plastic wrap over the top. You can freeze them at this point if you want. Let them rest on the counter for at least 20 minutes or up to 24 hours (this would be considered "soaking" as I've described in an earlier post about getting more from your whole grains, but without an acid solution).

Heat a cast-iron griddle or non-stick pan to medium high heat. Roll out on an unfloured, ungreased countertop (if you need flour, just use a tiny bit). I'm not super picky about shape. Mine are often square-ish. Roll as thinly as you can and stretch the dough when you pick it up to place it on your hot griddle.

Cook on both sides.


Slip the hot tortilla into a zip-lock bag and zip it up. Keep doing this. The trapped steam keeps the tortillas soft.

If you want to freeze these, let the bag cool and then place it in the freezer.

Nutritional Info
Servings Per Recipe: 24
Amount Per Serving
Calories: 67.7
Total Fat: 0.4 g
Cholesterol: 0.0 mg
Sodium: 102.3 mg
Total Carbs: 14.7 g
Dietary Fiber: 2.4 g
Protein: 2.7 g

6 comments:

  1. No oil in the recipe? Interesting. I'm going to have to try these.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't WAIT to try these! Tortillas were on my list next to make.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look super yum. I'm def. making them. If only I had a wheat grinder for my wheat. Guess I will have to lug some up to my mom's.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No, Tamlynn, no oil. Jenn, you'll be glad you used fresh ground wheat. Hard white wheat is best, if you have it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was perfect! So cheap and healthy! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you I have been looking for a recipe that had no oil. I will be
    making these today thanks again

    ReplyDelete