Thursday, June 24, 2010

'Tis the Season For Strawberry Rhubarb Cobbler

This is actually adapted from a pie recipe I've made dozens of times. I was craving this pie but couldn't bring myself to buy white sugar or white flour and have them sitting in my cupboard. I haven't had either for months now. You could certainly make the crust for a one crust pie (see "pastries" within this blog) and put a crust under this. I was just too lazy tonight for that.

4 cups chopped rhubarb
4 cups sliced strawberries (1 lb package)
1/3 cup sucanat
1/3 cup honey
1/4 cup flour
1/4 cup water

1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup sucanat
1 cup whole wheat flour

Mix rhubarb, sucanat, honey, and flour. Stir until flour is distributed throughout. Add water. Bring to a boil, stirring often. Remove from heat when liquid is thick and bubbly. Stir strawberries into the hot mixture. Pour into deep dish pie plate or 2 qt casserole dish.

In a food processor, pulse together butter, sucanat, and flour until crumbly. Pour over fruit mixture and spread around. Bake at 375 for 45 minutes. Serve with vanilla ice cream.

2 comments:

  1. I do not cook, but you make me want with all your recipes! I'll try! Congratulations for your blog...
    Bye Mahon
    http://redcat-albumart-som.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha! I second the comment above me. Kris sure knows how to severely increase my apatite whenever I come across one of her blogposts.

    ReplyDelete