Wednesday, February 17, 2010

A non-environmentalist's take on helping the environment.....

You know, when we were kids, we were taught "Give a Hoot; Don't Pollute." I still believe that, but I don't group myself with the environmentalist movement. Things have gotten out of control. The term "environmentalist" has left a bad taste in our mouths because of the crazies. As I've been really paying attention the the food that goes into my body, however, and have begun to see results, I am thinking more about things like organics and natural products. I haven't thought about them in terms of saving the world but in terms of doing what it takes to make sure that the mechanisms of my body work their best.

I have learned that if it didn't have a mother or grow from the ground, I shouldn't eat it. Why put fake food in my body? My daughter asked me why we didn't have Tang anymore. I told her, "because Tang is just a fake version of orange juice and orange juice tastes better." I am on a mission to eat REAL food, not FAKE food because I am beginning to recognize that my body functions best this way. I sleep better, and I don't need naps. I am not depressed. My periods are normal for the first time in 10 years. I like sex more. Because the systems of my body are not confused by foreign stuff, they function like they should

So if I won't eat FAKE food, why would I want to eat real food with fake stuff all over it? Why would I want to contaminate my home with cleaners and sprays with perfumes and dyes and other harsh chemicals that will enter my systems and make them confused? I wouldn't want that at all, so I'm slowly making some changes.

Organic foods are expensive. I can't take the plunge and go completely organic, but there are many things I CAN do to keep those system-confusing contaminates out of my home and out of my diet:

1. Make sure the dairy I buy does not include growth hormones (rbgh or rbst). Many non-organic ones have a label on them that tell you this.

2. Wash my produce thoroughly, especially peaches, nectarines, apples, peppers, celery, berries, lettuce, and grapes.... these are the worst.

3. Encourage my husband to hunt and fish. We currently have a freezer full of elk meat that we bought from a friend who hunts. The elk lived in the woods behind a farmer's alfalfa field. It is lean and tastes fantastic. It isn't "gamey" at all and I KNOW it was never given shots or steroids or synthetic food. It ate alfalfa all its life. Wild game is healthier than store bought meat. We live in Montana so, when in Rome....

4. Plant an organic garden and use the produce from it, or buy locally raised produce from farmers markets. The fresher your produce is, the more nutrients are available for your body. This also prevents the food from having to be shipped in big exhaust-producing semi-trucks, trains, or planes. Good for you.... good for your world.

5. Buy cleaners without dyes or perfumes. Go easy on the bleach, ammonia, Pine Sol, and stuff like that.

6. Avoid the use of #3, #6, and #7 plastics, especially with hot foods, and never put these in the microwave or dishwasher.

7. Go to www.safelawns.org to find ways to treat my lawn and garden without using harsh chemicals. Weed and feed makes me sick. It really does. I have previously used it 3x a summer to keep my lawn pretty. I need to find another solution. Haven't done this yet, but I need to.

2 comments:

  1. I am trying to do most of these things. Just a similar thing with the Tang- We like to have spray whipped cream, but a few weeks ago dh bought spray Cool-whip. Gag. We called it the abomination and he promised never to buy it again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny that you say "abomination" 'cause I was just reading in Deuteronomy that the Lord said "eat no abominable thing." I'd say that if he were making the list for our day, instead of for the Israelites, he would add spray Cool Whip to the abominable list!

    ReplyDelete