Saturday, January 30, 2010

Because Jauna asked... BREAKFAST IDEAS

Make french toast with whole wheat bread and make my strawberry sauce from a previous blog entry. I've also made it with frozen blueberries. 4 cups of frozen fruit (35 big strawberries), 1/4 cup honey, 1/4 cup water, boil it for 10-15 minutes. With strawberries, use a potato masher to smash it. With blueberries, leave them whole and just stir it. 1/4 cup = 56 calories, no fat, 1 sodium, 14 carbs, .5 protein, 2 fiber.

OR find my baking mix recipe from a previous blog entry and make pancakes using that, with the fruit sauce, and a glass of milk for protein.

OR make muffins using the baking mix on the blog. I like to stir in diced apples and cinnamon, mashed bananas and nuts, lemon juice and poppyseeds, etc before baking and a piece of fruit, and a glass of milk for protein.

OR cook 1/2 cup oatmeal with 1/4 cup raisins or dried cranberries, 1 tbsp wheat germ, 1 tbsp ground almonds, 1 tbsp ground flax seed, 1 tsp maple syrup, and 1 cup water. Stir and pour 1/4 cup milk over it. I eat this 4-5 days a week. The smallish amounts of almonds, flax seed, and milk, added together, give you your protein. I make this for myself (but I only use 1/3 cup oats 'cause I have a low rmr) and it gives me 229 calories, 46 carbs, 9 fat, 8 protein, 10 fiber. That's a lot of fiber.

OR make a peanut butter and "jelly" sandwich using 2 slices of whole wheat bread, 1 Tbsp natural peanut butter (I love the Costco organic kind), and 1 Tbsp of the fruit sauce above (if you put it in a jelly jar when it is hot, it thickens up, even without added pectin).

OR 1 cup plain fat free yogurt with 1/4 cup blueberry sauce and 1/4 cup oats (or brown rice crispies or grape nuts), stirred together. Whole grain, protein, fruit. I'm guessing that's around 325 calories.

No comments:

Post a Comment