Monday, January 18, 2010

What about fat?

I've read a lot about fats, and I'm going to be honest with you. The scientific stuff is confusing. The details don't stick in my brain very well. I don't want to just copy and paste some junk off the internet for you, which will likely boggle your brain as well. I'm going to go ahead and tell you what I've learned, in very simple English here in this section, without all the scientific junk.

1. Too much fat, of any kind, will make you fat. Butter or Margarine, Lard or Shortening, Corn oil or Olive oil..... it is all fat. Try to go easy on the fat.

2. A little fat with each meal will keep you fuller longer, but you don't have to go looking for it or adding it, in most cases. Most foods contain enough natural fats to do this job.

3. Fats that are left as nature intended are going to be metabolized in your body better than fats that have been engineered or processed. Margarine, shortening, and other refined oils actually undergo a chemical reaction in their processing (high heat, bleaching, dying, etc) that makes them a non-food and likely toxic. They are not recognized as food by the body, and end up in your arteries and on your hips. ANY fat will end up in those same locations if you eat too much, but you'll be healthier if you stick to the ones that are really food to begin with! God meant for us to eat butter. He did not intend for us to eat trans-fats.

4. We need Omega 3 fatty acids and Omega 6 fatty acids. Your body can't manufacture them. You must eat them. Omega 6's are in lots of things. You don't have to go looking for them. Omega 3's, however, are harder to come by and you need a BALANCE of the two. Try to include nuts, seeds, fish, flax, soy, pumkin seeds, sunflower seeds, and walnuts in your diet to get your Omega 3's.

RULE #5

Limit your fat to the following: fats that are already in your food (like the fish oil in your fish, or the marbling in your beef), butter, lard, drippings (like bacon fat or the chicken fat you skim off your soup), and cold-pressed vegetable oils (look at the label. It must say cold-pressed). Use these things IN MODERATION. This means you are giving up any food that is fried in a restaurant or a factory. They do not use cold-pressed oils.

2 comments:

  1. Hey babe-
    I got a question for ya. What oils do you store for long term food storage? I used to do only mild olive oil but then it got expensive and I started using canola. Now people are saying it isn't all that hot. We switched back to butter and the kids are loving it..lol. Who wouldn't? LOL. I can go back to buying mild evoo too but I was wondering what you do when stocking up on oil for food storage. I do have powdered butter in my coffers but I was wondering what you'd store in bulk.

    ReplyDelete
  2. To be honest, my long term food storage would last us about 2 months right now. I want to buy a case of unrefined canola oil and see if my local health food store will cut me a discount on that. It will be expensive. My long-term food storage plan includes NO white rice, white flour, or white sugar. If there is a disaster, I'd like to remain as healthy as possible so that would STILL not be a time to make exceptions, see what I mean? BUT, I JUST made zucchini bread with white sugar because I was OUT of honey, so......yeah, I sometimes say one thing and do another.

    ReplyDelete