Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Whole Wheat Pancakes with Strawberry Sauce and Cream Cheese

This tastes like dessert but is totally clean. You've got your whole grain, protein, and your fruit right there. Eat it for breakfast. You'll feel like you are "cheating" but you're not!

1. Measure about 5 cups of large frozen strawberries (35 big ones), 1/4 cup honey, and 1/4 cup water.


2. Put this into a big pan with a lid and turn it to high. Let it steam for 5 minutes, allowing the strawberries to thaw and get mushy. Start making up your pancake batter while doing this step.


3. Use a potato masher to smash up the strawberries very well. Let it continue to boil with the lid off, stirring often to check the consistency.


4. When all the pancakes are done, the sauce will have thickened to a point where you can drag a spoon across your pan and an empty spot will be left.


3. Get out your cream cheese. I just bought whipped cream cheese from the grocery store. 130 calories for 2 tbsp. That's a lot of yumminess for the calories in my opinion. Technically, the whipped cream cheese is not "clean" since it has a mold inhibitor with a name I don't recognize. Could be bad for me, I don't know. I'm not going to sweat that one.

Place pancakes on the plate (3 is a reasonable kid-sized portion). Spoon strawberry sauce over the pancakes. Divide your 2 tablespoons of cream cheese over that and enjoy. Divine. Seriously. You won't miss the processed sugar or fat of other desserts. I promise. The protein in this dish comes from the cream cheese and the egg in your pancake.


If you feel you need more protein, scramble an egg to go with it.

You'll have leftover strawberry sauce. Stir it into plain (not vanilla) yogurt and you have "clean" yogurt for your snacks.


1/4 cup = 56 calories, no fat, 1 sodium, 14 carbs, .5 protein, 2 fiber.

4 comments:

  1. I feel like you are talking right to me!!! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bought strawberries at costco today so I could make this. I'm so excited!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Made it! SO yummy! I didn't add cream cheese though. I ate it with eggs and sausage. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you liked it, Misty. Now try it with blueberries. It is naturally sweeter and blueberries have more pectin; it is thicker.

    ReplyDelete