Saturday, March 6, 2010

California Black Bean Burgers

I give this recipe 5 stars, but I LOVE beans. You gotta like beans to like these burgers. You aren't going to fool anyone into believing that they are eating meat. At my house, 4of 5 family members liked this recipe a LOT. Bean lovers, all. The 5th (my 10 year old bean hater) actually gagged and ate a whole wheat bun with lettuce, tomato, and condiments for dinner, sans-bean burger.

2 cups cooked black beans (I put taco seasoning in the cooking water)
1 4 oz can diced green chilies
1 egg
1 1/4 cup whole wheat bread crumbs
5 whole wheat hamburger buns (170 calories each)



In food processor, mix beans, chile, egg, breadcrumbs until combined. Shape into 5 equal sized balls, and then shape into patties. Put cornmeal onto a plate and press both sides of the burger into the cornmeal. Fry in vegetable oil cooking spray until brown on both sides and firm. Serve on bun (calories included) with desired toppings.


click on image to see it bigger


click on image to see it bigger


click on image to see it bigger

Calories: 416.7
Total Fat: 4.9 g
Cholesterol: 42.5 mg
Sodium: 337.7 mg
Total Carbs: 75.8 g
Dietary Fiber: 9.4 g
Protein: 17.1 g

2 comments:

  1. So how did these go over with the family? I am making a meal plan for next week and am going vegan for 21 days in September so I am phasing in more vegetarian meals these days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess I should have read your post instead of only reading the recipe.

    ReplyDelete