Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Information about natural sweeteners from another blogger

I've been finding that there are lots of "us" out there in the blog-o-sphere. Many have done their research and are helping me on my journey quite a bit. Here is a link to some great information about natural sweeteners, including how to substitute them in recipes:

http://www.passionatehomemaking.com/2008/09/my-favorite-natural-sweeteners.html

I learned that some of my stand-by's aren't maybe as healthy as I thought. For instance, I hadn't thought about the damage that heat does to liquid sweeteners. Heating a liquid sweetener above 118 degrees damages it and can even change the molecular structure. Well, maple syrup and agave nectar start out looking like water and must be boiled down until they are syrup consistency. They get way over 118 degrees and become something different and not quite as healthy as they were before. Pasteurized honey gets over 118 as well, and with that one, beneficial bacteria are killed off in the process. We have to worry about botulism in honey because pasteurization kills off the natural honey killer that God put in there!! I'm thinking they are still way better than refined white sugar, but it is something to think about.

I learned, also, that Stevia is best bought in its ground leaf form, and not in the white powdered form, because that white powder is super-processed. Good to know.

I'm thinking, based on what I learned, that Succanat and RAW honey are our best choices for sweeteners, as long as we don't cook the honey. So succanat should go in things that will be baked or cooked on the stove, honey can be stirred into or drizzled onto already-cooked or fresh items. I don't think this will make me give up my Maple Syrup on pancakes, and I'm not going to go back and change all my recipes because this is all about growth. I have no doubt that yogurt sweetened with cooked honey and blueberries is heathier than commercially sweetened yogurt. It's just good info to use in the future.

3 comments:

  1. I just learned that you can buy stevia seeds and grow your own.

    ReplyDelete
  2. okay, that is GREAT to know. Have you found a source for seeds yet?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can get them just about anywhere. From Burpee to Amazon to smaller places like seedman.com

    ReplyDelete