Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Vegetarian taco soup

Snuck this one past my bean hater. Everyone loved this, even company. Score one for the team!!I forgot to take a picture, sorry picture lovers.

Vegetarian taco soup

Ingredients
1 cup raw barley
1 onion
2 tsp olive oil
2 tbsp taco seasoning (equal parts onion powder, garlic powder, oregano, cumin, and chili powder)
15 oz can chili-ready canned tomatoes (or regular and add some chili powder)
15 oz canned corn, drained
2 cups cooked kidney beans
6 cups beef broth (I make mine with "better than bouillon"). If you are a real vegetarian, you can obviously choose vegetable broth instead.

9 oz Baked Tostito's Scoops
2 1/4 cups grated colby jack cheese
9 tablespoons light sour cream

Directions
Saute onion in a the olive oil. Add taco seasoning, barley, and the beef broth. Cook until barley is soft (if you use "quick" barley it'll only take 10 minutes). Add tomato, beans and corn. Cook until heated through. Each one-cup serving should be topped with 1/4 cup grated cheese and 1 Tbsp of the light sour cream. Serve with one ounce (about 15 chips) of baked tortilla chips.

Number of Servings: 9

Calories: 308.0
Total Fat: 10.5 g
Cholesterol: 27.7 mg
Sodium: 850.3 mg
Total Carbs: 42.0 g
Dietary Fiber: 9.0 g
Protein: 14.2 g

1 comment:

  1. Hi! I saw your post on my blog and would love some help with my real food and religion series. please email me at hhhh147 (at) juno (dot) com and I'll get you the details. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete